Part I: Introduction
These Practice Directions may be cited as the State Courts Practice Directions.
2. Practice Directions to apply to civil proceedings only unless otherwise stated
For avoidance of doubt, these Practice Directions shall apply to civil proceedings only unless otherwise stated.
2A. References to “High Court” to refer to the General Division of the High Court where applicable
In respect of cases, claims, actions and/or appeals which are contemplated or commenced on or after 2 January 2021 to which these Practice Directions apply, all references to the High Court shall, where appropriate, refer to the General Division of the High Court.
3. Citation of Legislation in Proceedings
Where legislation is cited in these Practice Directions, the citation shall, unless the context otherwise requires, be read to refer to the edition of that legislation currently in force.
4. Calculation of time
The provisions in the Rules of Court (Cap. 322, R 5) shall apply to the calculation of time in these Practice Directions. In particular:
(a) the following definition of “working day” in Order 1, Rule 4 of the Rules of Court is applicable in these Practice Directions:
- “Working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday; and
- (b) the provisions of Order 3 of the Rules of Court shall also apply to the calculation of time.
(1) Any addition or amendment to these Practice Directions will be notified on the State Courts’ website at http://www.statecourts.gov.sg. The Practice Directions will be updated on the date the addition or amendment takes effect.
(2) The complete and updated Practice Directions can be downloaded from the State Courts’ website at http://www.statecourts.gov.sg.
The Forms in Appendix A to these Practice Directions shall be used where applicable with such variations as the circumstances of the particular case require.
7. Business of the Registry
(1) Pursuant to Order 60, Rule 1(3) of the Rules of Court (Cap. 322, R 5), the business of the Registry is governed by the Rules of Court and these Practice Directions.
(2) For the avoidance of doubt, any instruction manuals which may be issued from time to time by the Government are not applicable to the business of the Registry.